We all have our different paths of how we came into the industry. At the office, the captain of the debate team might be siting next to the kid who used to spend his free time hacking into the school’s server. From the new college grads to the original mad men, what we all share are quick wits and our creative thinking. No matter your experience level its good to keep the basics of advertising in mind. Abiding by these rules will help keep you successful in the ad world.
- Do not worship yourselves as idols. No one likes pompous individuals. You should never brag about your work, clients, or agency unless you just won an award. Then you shall be granted 24 hours.
- Have a call to action. Have a clear message and be clear what you want your audience to do whether it’s following the company on Twitter or making a purchase.
- Resist taking the client’s name in vain. Always maintain a positive relationship with the client. No matter how frustrating the clients might be, just remember we love them.
- Remember to rest and have fun. It is important to take a break from your hard work. Your creativity won’t flow if you are stressed. Some of the best campaign ideas were thought of over a bite to eat or a game of darts.
- Honor the brand. The market is always changing. Don’t assume that the account will last forever.
- Never kill the idea. There is no such thing as a bad idea. Write down whatever thoughts come to mind. You never know where it may lead.
- Do not commit ad-oldery. Never be content with old, sagging ideas.
- Never covet ideas. Be original. Be creative.
- At no time bear false statements about the product. Just avoid the bad press and lawsuits it will cause.
- There is always another way. Don’t settle with simple notions and old tactics.
advertising, Commandements, creative, Success, Thinking